The human body has its own ways of reacting to foreign invasions. Bacteria, viruses, and toxins are common foreign substances that the body’s immune system considers as harmful. The system reacts with biological defenses to avoid disease and infection. Inflammation is one of the first automatic responses of the auto immune system.
Some researchers believe that obesity is actually an inflammatory response of the body to warn us that we are eating what is not good for us. An anti inflammatory diet is based on the theory that the body does not need fat and processed foods and therefore reacts with inflammation. The theory appears to be logical considering the high incidence of obesity in the developed world which relies on processed fatty foods to a larger extent.
Determining food choices for an anti inflammatory diet is easy. The diet basically consists of foods that that are close to the original form. The essential ingredient that reduces inflammation is Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Fish, especially oily fish, is one of the best sources of Omega 3. Red meat, on the other hand, is considered to trigger inflammatory responses. Some important instructions that are part of the anti-inflammatory diet are:
- Caloric intake of 2000 to 3000 calories per day depending upon your size and level of activity.
- Calorie intake to be distributed between carbohydrates (40 to 50%), proteins (20 to 30%) and fat (30%). All three groups must be included in all meals.
- Use virgin oils for cooking and avoid saturated fats.
- Avoid margarine, vegetable shortening and all products that list them as ingredients at all cost.
- Decrease consumption of animal protein except for fish and low fat dairy products.
- Take at least 40 grams of fiber daily from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Ready made cereals are also a good source but make sure that they give you at least 4, preferably 5 grams per ounce.
- Choose fruits and vegetables from all parts of the color spectrum: berries, tomatoes, orange and yellow fruits and dark leafy vegetables.
- Mushrooms are advised as the preferred source of phytonutrients.
- Choose tea over coffee and wine over whisky and beer.
A diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables in recommended quantities can supply all the necessary substances that a body requires. This includes vitamins and minerals for good health and weight maintenance. However, if some of the instructions cannot be met due to compelling reasons, the use of natural healthy weight loss supplements is recommended. Fish oil, garlic, ginger and turmeric supplements are available in convenient formulations that can make up for the nutrients missing in regular diet.
Anti inflammatory diet is natural in its approach and is based on moderation than on denial. It is closer to traditional healthy weight loss . It is unlike fad diets that tell you how to naturally lose weight , which is not the right way to lose weight anyway.References: