A homeopath’s approach is different from those who practice conventional medicine. Homeopathy perceives all symptoms as a manifestation of the body’s struggle to self-heal. Homeopaths normally do not prescribe medication for individual symptoms. For a successful homeopathic treatment, the professional must examine the patient and get answers to a lot of questions regarding lifestyle, eating and sleeping habits, family history and much more.
The basic principle of homeopathy is that a remedy in its diluted state will cure a condition that is caused by the same remedy in its undiluted state. Coffee is a classic example of this principle.
Coffee, as is widely accepted, stimulates and keeps people awake for long periods. One of the primary homeopathic remedies for treating insomnia is coffea that is prepared after coffee beans have been subjected to a vigorous dilution process. The homeopathic Materia Medica contains a comprehensive list of symptoms produced by natural substances and a homeopath matches them with all that is disclosed by the patient.
A major characteristic of homeopathy is that the potency of a remedy can be increased and the side effects decreased by dilution. Dosage, as such, plays an important role in treatment. For mild conditions of insomnia, a 6c potency taken every fifteen minutes for two to three weeks should be enough.
Insomnia, by itself is not a disease but a symptom of a disease. Consequently, homeopathic treatment of insomnia will depend upon the underlying condition. There are many conditions that cause insomnia and the homeopath prescribes remedies based on the underlying cause. If insomnia is caused by depression, homeopathic remedies focus on treating depression.
Homeopathic remedies have been the mainstay of alternative remedies like natural remedies for depression .
The particularity of homeopathy can be ascertained by the fact that there are various remedies for insomnia depending on different symptoms and the underlying cause:
- Belladona is used for sleeplessness due to congestion, restless sleep, spasmodic motions, frightful images upon closing the eyes and violent throbbing in the brain.
- Chamomilla is used mainly for children who cannot sleep due to pain or those who have sleep tormented by vivid, fanciful and anxious dreams.
- Arnica is most effective for sleep issues due to jet lag and tiredness. It is also used when the bed feels uncomfortable to sleep.
- Aconite is used in conditions where sleep eludes due to shock, grief, anxiety or restlessness.
- Arsenicum Album is best suited to conditions where the individual is sleepy during the day but unable to sleep in the night.
Homeopathic remedies are a useful tool for treating depression naturally and other conditions that cause insomnia. The homeopathic Materia Medica contains minute details of symptoms that relate to each remedy. It is common for a homeopath to ask details of sleeping patterns, the type of sleep one gets on going back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night, or even the posture in which the patient sleeps.