Symptoms like cold hands and feet, sensitivity to cold, headaches, sleeplessness, coarse skin, swollen eyes, fragile nails, joint aches, constipation, fatigue, croaky voice or dizziness are hardly ever associated with a major disorder. Such symptoms are often waved off as inconsequential and temporary.
This above all is the main reason why thyroid diseases are among the most under diagnosed diseases in the world. Matters become worse because laboratory blood tests are also not helpful in unequivocal diagnosis of a thyroid condition.
It is however, possible to avoid a thyroid dysfunction with proper diet and natural thyroid medication. A good diet can go a long way in keeping the thyroid gland in a healthy condition.
Avoiding foods that have possibly been treated with chemical pollutants is the first step towards a thyroid-friendly diet. Water should be treated properly ensuring that chemicals are kept at bay. Expeller-processed or solvent-extracted oils need to be substituted since such polyunsaturated oils can block the production of thyroid hormones.
Thyroid medications, that are believed to be hormonal in nature, are generally avoided by many people. But if ignored, complex thyroid medications become necessary for any kind of thyroid treatment once a thyroid disease is diagnosed.
In some cases a thyroid malfunction can even be treated with natural thyroid medication that includes a thyroid-friendly diet regime coupled with natural hormone supplements. Alternative thyroid treatments include diet regulation, homoeopathic remedies and herbs have been seen to be effective in thyroid treatment.
The home remedies or herbs that should be used for thyroid treatment differ based on the specific condition. This treatment should only be administered under the guidance of an expert practitioner. Some herbs and remedies commonly used are:
- Shilajeet-Asphaltum puniabiunum - Described as India’s wonder drug, it contains 85 minerals in different forms.
- Kanchanara - Bauhinia veriegata (purple mountain ebony): Helps in healthy functioning of thyroid.
- Bladder wrack (Fucus vesiculosus) - A natural source of iodine.
- Licorice – Used to maintain a healthy balance between glands and energy building.
- Coconut oil is considered better for overall thyroid health. Coconut oil is a saturated fat. Its triglycerides increase metabolism and control weight.
- Vegetable juices, unrefined sea salt are healthy foods that can improve thyroid functioning.
- Avoidance of excess wheat flour, refined sugars, potatoes, and other glycolic foods also helps.
- Stimulants like caffeine should be avoided at all costs.
There is an old saying that "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." A holistic management that includes diet, herbs, and natural thyroid medicationcan prove to be extremely effective in maintaining good thyroid health.