Candida is another name given to yeast infections. Yeast infection is caused by the overgrowth of Candida albicans, a fungus that belongs to the yeast family. Penile yeast infection is a less common form of Candidiasis (inflammation caused by Candida) than vaginal yeast infection, which is common in women. On an estimate, 80% of women suffer from some form of vaginal yeast infection at least once during a lifetime.
Most men are normally unaware that red and moist scale-like rashes on the penis head are indicative of Candida beneath the foreskin of the penis, necessitating yeast infection treatments.
Although there are a fair number of topical creams that are available over the counter for penile yeast infection treatment, it is better to address the real cause behind the problem. Penile yeast infection is caused primarily due to the following causes and attending to them can go a long way in providing an effective Candida cure.
- A weak immune system due to HIV, under active thyroid gland, chronic stress or any other disorder.
- Sexual intercourse with a woman having vaginal yeast infection.
- Excessive and reckless use of antibiotics, which can kill the friendly bacteria in the penis and the crotch.
- Diabetes mellitus, which elevates sugar levels in the urine, which in turn provide a beneficial environment for yeast.
- Nonoxynol-9, a vital ingredient for various detergents, cosmetics, lubricants in condoms and in contraceptives for its spermicidal properties. It was initially considered to be a protection of sexually transmitted diseases including HIV, but recent studies have shown that it leads to infection by damaging the physical barriers of the rectum and vagina.
Out of the listed causes of penile yeast infection, sexual transmission of yeast is the most common. This makes it necessary that once Candida infection is confirmed in either of the two partners, Candida treatment should be sought for both.
It is not necessary that all men who have sex with infected women will get penile infection. The foreskin of the penis holds most of the moisture, which provides a healthy environment for yeast to grow. And therefore, circumcised men are at a lower risk of getting penile infections than those who are not.
Young boys are also at a risk of penile infections due to improper cleaning habits. Yeast infection occurs when new fungus is introduced internally or externally. When feces touch the penis, the bacteria in the feces can cause an infection.
Other natural Candida cures like avoiding sugar and restricting intake of simple carbohydrates go a long way to complement penile yeast infection treatments and may also prevent its recurrence.