- Relieves chronic and acute ear infections in cats and dogs
- Relieves ear mite infestations
- Reduces inflammation of the ears
- Reduces pain, itching and discomfort
- Prevents constant scratching of the ears
- Keeps ear canals clear and free of blockages
My dear old beagle has had almost constant ear infections in the last few years… so I ordered the Ear Dr. oil and it has been wonderful. Three months now without any sign of infection… Thank you from both of us! - Julia
What is Ear Dr.?
Ear Dr. contains a blend of natural, herbal ingredients in a medicinal olive oil base, all specially selected to relieve the symptoms of ear infections and ear mites without the side effects of prescription drugs or the health and environmental risks associated with commercial synthetic pesticides.
Ear Dr. can provide safe yet effective relief from your pet's ear problems and helps to prevent the spread of mites from one pet to another. It’s also a great companion remedy to herbal Immunity & Liver Support™, as it cleanses and purifies the system to help fight bacterial infections and eliminate toxins. Used together, Ear Dr. and Immunity & Liver Support can relieve ear infections and improve immune system functioning to speed up healing.
The formula remains true to the full spectrum method of herbal extraction, ensuring the bioavailability and balance of all the active ingredients contained in the remedy. This manufacturing method also significantly reduces the likelihood of side effects and ensures that all active ingredients are in perfect balance.
All PetAlive products are manufactured in FDA-registered, GMP-certified facilities under the supervision of an expert team of herbalists, naturopaths, homeopaths and responsible pharmacists.
Signs and symptoms of ear infections in pets
While the basic structure and functions of the ears of dogs and cats are similar to humans, dogs in particular differ in the shapes of their outer ear. While some dogs have pointed upright ears, others (like Spaniels) have long, pendulous ears which can predispose them to ear infections.
Ear infections are very common amongst cats and dogs and can cause severe irritation and discomfort in your beloved pet. If your pet displays symptoms such as shaking of the head and ears, scratching or rubbing of the ears and face, discharge or even bleeding from the ears, foul smell coming from the ears, sensitivity to touching in the ear area, or general irritability, he or she may have an ear infection. Consult your vet if you are concerned.
There are a number of causes of ear infections and common culprits include bacteria, yeasts and mites. Less commonly, allergies may have a role to play in inflammation and subsequent infection of the ears.
This interesting fact highlights the importance of keeping ears healthy and clean (to prevent scratching and irritation). Your pet's ears contain certain amounts of wax, as well as a variety of flora (e.g. yeast and certain bacteria) to keep ears clean and free of infection.
Maintaining the natural balance of normal flora and healthy organisms in the ear is therefore important, and it is only when a weakened immune system causes over proliferation of the inner flora of the ear that problems arise.
The natural way
Usual treatment of ear infections in pets involves antibiotics and, in the case of mites, medications and products also used for flea control. In severe infestations and multiple pet households, insecticides are sometimes used for treating the house or living environment.
As ear infections are so often treated with antibiotics, chronic and recurrent ear infections are a growing problem and usually occur with decreased immune functioning – a frequent side effect of antibiotic drugs.
Natural remedies can treat and prevent infections of the ear without any of the side effects and adverse effects on immune functioning that antibiotics can cause.
Maintaining balance and harmony in the ear and keeping the outer ear clean is very important in helping to keep your pet's ears problem-free. Thankfully, there is much that can be done to prevent problems.
- Because the ears are essentially part of the skin, ear health starts with general skin health. This means a healthy diet, avoidance of allergens, and keeping pets free from mites, fleas and other skin parasites is essential.
- Adopt a holistic approach to your pet's health and examine all factors that influence your pet's well-being. This will result in a happy, healthy pet.
- Today's rushed lifestyle of over-processed foods puts strain on our pet's immune systems and predisposes them to developing allergies and succumbing to infections. By feeding them a diet free of colorants and preservatives and one that is similar to the diet they would eat in the wild you are less likely to have a pet that suffers from dietary intolerances or skin problems.
- A last note: Do not be tempted to probe your pet's ears with Q-tips – you will only do damage!
What are the Ingredients?
Ear Dr. is a 100% herbal formula and contains the following ingredients in therapeutic dosage: Calendula (Calendula officinalis), Mullein (Verbascum thapsus), Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Tea tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), and Extra virgin olive oil.
- Calendula (Calendula officinalis) is an herbal ingredient used to treat skin problems and promote healing of wounds. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory and prevents infection with its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Calendula has been shown to assist the regeneration of damaged skin tissue.
- Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) is an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic herb. Mullein is also good for healing of skin when applied topically and has a long history of use for ear conditions. It is commonly applied externally to the ear in the form of ear drops. Recent studies have investigated Mullein for its ability to soothe the ear (Sarrell EM, Mandelberg A, Cohen HA. "Efficacy of naturopathic extracts in the management of ear pain associated with acute otitis media." Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001; 155:796-799).
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) is well known in naturopathic circles as a topical pain reliever and antiseptic/disinfectant herb, and can be used internally as well as on the skin to support skin integrity and the natural protective function of the skin. Rosemary has been studied for its ability to support healthy levels of bacteria and microbes (Santoyo, S., Cavero, S., Jaime, L., Ibanez, E., Senorans, F. J., and Reglero, G. "Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of Rosmarinus officinalis L. essential oil obtained via supercritical fluid extraction." J Food Prot. 2005; 68(4):790-795). Several of the compounds in rosemary have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Tea tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is widely used for external inflammation and to treat various skin conditions. This oil has outstanding antibacterial, antifungal and healing properties. Tea tree oil will soothe and reduce inflammation in the ear as well as treat any bacterial, fungal or mite infection that is present (Carson CF, Riley TV. Antimicrobial activity of the major components of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia. J Appl Bacteriol 1995; 78(3):264-269).
- Extra virgin olive oil contains phenol compounds that are highly beneficial, according to scientists, who add that these compounds have anti-inflammatory properties and can protect skin (Publio Viola and Marzia Viola. Virgin olive oil as a fundamental nutritional component and skin protector. Clinics in Dermatology. 2009; 27 (2): 159-65. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19167997. Accessed October 29, 2012).
PetAlive is the leading brand of natural pet remedies known for safe, effective and quality products. Our remedies are formulated by natural health experts and produced under the highest pharmaceutical standards in FDA-registered, GMP certified facilities. We use the whole herb, not just a standardized extract, for a more potent remedy that is easy for the body to absorb.
PetAlive topical products never contain any parabens, sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) or harmful petrochemicals. They do not contain animal products, artificial colors or preservatives, and are never tested on animals. Our products are always backed by our One Year Unconditional Money Back Guarantee.
How do I use Ear Dr.?
With pet's head upright, insert dropper carefully and allow drops to fall into the ear canal. Massage ear gently. Repeat 2-3 times daily for at least 7-10 days.
Maintenance: Apply once or twice weekly.
Cats and dogs under 20 lbs: 2-3 drops in the ear.
Dogs 20-50 lbs: 3-5 drops in the ear.
Note: For added protection against ear infections, it is recommended that Ear Dr. be administered in conjunction with Immunity & Liver Support for improved immune system functioning.
Get optimum results with regular use
While conventional medicine works by often treating just the symptoms, natural medicine strives to create holistic balance in the body to support systemic health, relieve ailments, and help prevent future disease. Unlike pharmaceutical drugs, the natural ingredients in our remedies support overall health and functioning (rather than just suppressing symptoms).
Pets respond to natural medicine in different ways. Some of our satisfied customers have reported observing immediate results in their pets while many others have reported observing optimal benefits taking effect within 3-6 weeks. To ensure your pet receives optimum results it is important to administer natural remedies as directed and remain consistent. You may also find that giving your pet a smaller maintenance dose is beneficial for ongoing support. Many customers report using a regular maintenance dose as part of a preventative program for the continued health and well-being of their beloved animals.
How long until I see results?
Improvement in discomfort, itchiness and pain should begin almost immediately after applying the drops and will continue to improve over 1-3 weeks of regular use.
How long will a bottle last?
One 30 mL bottle of Ear Dr. will last for 20-40 days, depending on the size and needs of your pet.
How has Ear Dr. helped others?
Ear Dr. has been used to relieve the symptoms of ear infections and ear mite infestations in pets. Here is what some pet owners have to say:
“My poor puppy has been scratching his ear and the side of his head against furniture and anything he can find recently - the itching of his ear was so severe that his desperate attempts to scratch even caused sores behind his ear that would bleed intermittently. Ever since using your Ear Dr. oil his ear seems to have cleared up - I am so relieved as it was terrible to see him in such a state. Thanks for a great product that works so quickly and effectively!”
“My dear old beagle has had almost constant ear infections in the last few years. The cycle of infection, antibiotics, new infection, more antibiotics was frustrating and soul destroying and his scratching and whining nearly drove us batty! My vet has a special interest in natural treatment and recommended your website - so I ordered the Ear Dr. oil and it has been wonderful. Three months now without any sign of infection and - far from having to find new and more ingenuous ways to get him to take his antibiotics - Benji actually enjoys his little ear “massages”! Thank you from both of us!”
“I own a Rhodesian Ridgeback who has had recurring ear infections since I've owned her. Like most people, when the infections occurred, I reluctantly used the antibiotics prescribed by my vet. However, I have since heard that this breed may be prone to ear infections, so I redoubled my efforts to find a natural alternative to antibiotics. Luckily for me and my dog, I found your website and Ear Dr. I started using the drops and after the third application, the infection was completely gone. Her ears look and smell great, and she is one happy dog! I am thrilled that I no longer have to resort to antibiotics and all their drawbacks, especially since she might be having these infections for the rest of her life. I will try the drops as a prophylactic and maybe she won't get any more. Thank you for an excellent product!”
—T.O., AZ, USA
“My 9 month old puppy seemed to have an ear infection, he was scratching at his ears and face. I purchased the Ear Dr., within one day of using it, I noticed that he wasn't scratching as much. By the third week, it seemed to be completely gone. I would recommend this stuff to anyone. Thanks.”
—Brooke P., CA
“I started using this on Tuesday for my cocker spaniel with chronic ear infections. It is now Thursday and her ears are so much better. She's not itching and you can tell they no longer hurt her. These drops are an essential to have at home, especially for pets that are prone to ear infections. Thank you for this wonderful product. Princess is sending you big kisses...”
“I just want to tell you how great your products are. I adopted a rescue dog in June who always seemed very lethargic and dopey to me. I got the Energy Tonic and that seemed to help her perk up a bit, we then added the Grief & Pining Formula since it "promotes an overall feeling of wellness" and she also cried a bit when one of us would leave, we noticed an immediate improvement in her demeanor when using these 2 products together. We also added the Gumz-n-Teeth formula since she had bad teeth and that also very quickly improved the condition of her teeth and gums. After several weeks of new and better food, we noticed that her poop was still very poor. I ordered the RuniPoo Relief and to my amazement it fixed her poo in one dose! I've never ever had a product that worked in one dose-this truly made me a believer in homeopathic products. Recently she started itching a lot so we ordered the Allergy Itch Ease and have started using that with both our dogs and we have used Ear Dr. with her ears as well and it really seems to be helping. I am amazed at how quickly these products work and how well they have worked with both my dogs. My Boston terrier has bad allergies and teeth and the Allergy Itch Ease and Gumz-n-Teeth have really helped her as well. I'm now a believer and will continue to use your great products and am referring my family and friends to use them as well. Many thank you’s from a happy pet owner and 2 happy dogs.”
—Heather , Ellie (Boston terrier) and Abby (Boxer/Lab mix)
“I would like to [give] great thanks for Ear Dr. Our Akita girl, Splash, had a long time problem with [her] ears. We used Ear Dr. for just a few days and Splash's ears are nice and clear... I am very enthusiastic that I found PetAlive - your homeopathic products are great - quick and effective! I [am also using] DetoxPlus and I haven't words for compliments - really fantastic effects! I wish you all the best!”
“My female bulldog has hip [issues] & also suffers from allergies which manifests in excessive scratching & recurrent ear & eye infections. I'm using Ear Dr., EyeHeal, Muscle & Joint Support, Skin & Coat Tonic & Allergy Itch Ease for her. I haven't used most of the products long enough to be able to draw a conclusion as to the effectiveness. What I do know so far is that the Allergy Itch Ease works exceptionally well. It works… I can see it working! I could definitely recommend the Ear Dr. as well, as I have to use it far less & the effect lasts much longer… Obviously it's less traumatic for her too if I can treat her ears as little as possible.”
—Karin, Lyttelton, New Zealand